In learning about how elementary students learn math we had the opportunity to run through a few quick images (a subitizing exercise) with 3rd grade students. It was fascinating to see how different students saw different images and how they grouped numbers so that they could make sense of them and come up with a total. As a teacher, I need to remind myself constantly that others will not always see things in the same way that I see things. Learning to understand and appreciate how others view things will allow me to grow as a teacher and allow me to teach others in more than one way.
Below, I have attached an image of how one student was able to group items in a way that made sense to him. When images of 4 groups of 5 were flashed, he rearranged dots to make 2 groups of 6 and 2 groups of 4 and then was able to add the 6's and the 4's to make 10's and the 2 - 10's to make 20.

No comments:
Post a Comment