Labels

Sunday, November 27, 2011

First Impressions

Something to keep in mind as we're getting to know our students:)


Looks Like

Mike looks like he may be a screamer,
And then I got to know him.
Angela seems like she could be a schemer,
And then I got to know her.
Thought Tom was not very bright,
And then I got to know him.
Charlie seems that he might like to fight,
And then I got to know him.
Betty seems to have moods that are bad,
And then I got to know her.
Carl looks like he’s always mad,
And then I got to know him.
I met Luther, who I thought would be grouchy,
And then I got to know him.
Katy looked like she would be nasty,
And then I got to know her.

Don’t judge others by how they appear..
The opposite is quite often true. Give people a chance, listen and hear.
You don’t want them judging you.

-          John DeAmicis

2 comments:

  1. This is a good reminder that we can't always judge a book by its cover - or students by what they're showing us at the time. How can we get to know the real them though, and how do we know that the new one is the real one? We're all changing and what we are one day may be different the next - a reminder to be flexible, change when your students change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that poem! What a great reminder to really get to know your students and to not make snap judgments when you first meet people. Faith is right; people change all the time, especially children. They are impossible to pin down!
    That would be a great poem to put up in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete