Labels

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gender

How is it that certain traits are deemed to be either masculine or feminine? Not only are traits deemed masculine or feminine but there is a decidedly negative stigma attached with exhibiting traits associated with the opposite gender. A male who is sensitive is viewed as weak, which is a female attribute and a women that is physically strong is viewed to be somewhat manly because physical strength is associated with males. It sounds crazy, but it's true. I am embarrassed to say that I still tend to associate some traits with a specific gender, which goes against everything I know to be fact. Why is it so hard to break out of the thinking of specific gender stereotypes? Our society seems to support these gender stereotypes and in turn perpetuates them. Does the media create these stereotypes or is the media simply reflecting what is already out there.? There does seems to be a genuine human need to identify and sort things in our everyday surroundings, but does this type of sorting require us to differentiate male characteristics from female characteristics? Why can't we differentiate males from females in the biological sense, but allow any trait to be attributed to either gender? The development of physical, emotional and intellectual strength should be something we view as desirable traits for both genders not just one or the other. Is gender stereotyping just a bad habit? Or is it something more? What do we need to do to break the habit of gender stereotyping? 

Teaching a classroom full of students, we must be very aware of what personal 'baggage' we bring with us concerning gender stereotyping. We want to encourage both or male students and our female students to realize their potential without the obstacle of having to overcome gender stereotypes that suggest they are or are not behaving in a masculine or feminine manner.

I wonder if gender stereotyping is different in different cultures? What would gender stereotyping look like in a matriarchal culture instead of patriarchal culture? 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on gender I have also thought a lot about how gendered our society is. One thing I find interesting is that as our culture has become more open about women who have masculine traits it has become increasingly intolerant of men who have feminine traits. As teachers I think it will be important for us to make sure to give all of our children, both male and female, the freedom to be who they want to be even if crosses traditional gender lines.

    ReplyDelete